In my Add Storytelling to Perfect Your Speech post from my own site, I state that facts tell, stories sell. I am an avid believer of the power of stories in a speech, as well as for everyday networking and connecting.
Think about the ‘old days’ when important things were all shared and passed down in time through stories. Stories around the campfire or sitting on your grandmother’s lap hearing stories about when your parents were little. Stories have power. Stories take your facts and make them personal. They spark the imagination, they spark the connection.
So when I was planning the December Founder’s District Speakers Bureau, and had the opportunity to book Ed Tate for a workshop on Storytelling, I jumped on it!
Ed Tate, our own Toastmasters 2000 World Champion of Public Speaking, will be visiting our club for a special workshop on storytelling. Ed also owns his own Personal Development Company, Ed Tate & Associates.
He will be at the Speakers Bureau December 14th meeting, 7pm to teach us all, “How to Create Stories in 10 Minutes or Less.” Additional information can be found here, in the Workshop Flyer.
Here are some of the things you will learn:
• Hear and diagnose Ed’s award winning remarkable stories
• Discover & Practice Ed’s 4 Elements of Effective Story Telling
• Using a story creation framework, participants will create new material immediately!
• Learn 10 different ways to creatively open and close any presentation
• Have lots of Fun in this interactive accelerated learning program
1. Create your own original stories.
2. Break your routine of how they open and close a presentation.
3. Connect with any audience, any time.
4. Reexamine your existing material and re-energize it.
Come to the Speakers Bureau this coming Wednesday, bring some cookies, eat some cookies, and learn how to create and add stories to your speeches!
We help Toastmasters up their game, and inspire them to reach their professional speaking goals.
Visit Ed Tate’s website for more information.
(Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons and PASUKARU76)